April 10, 2020
The leadership of MCRC has been in contact this past week and has reviewed the latest guidelines published by the United States Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the White House and the State of Michigan Health Department involving the expansion of the Covid-19 virus. As a result, the following actions have been taken:
- MCRC will close its offices and refrain from gathering on Sunday mornings until at least the end of April. We will re-evaluate towards the end of this period as information continues to filter in and communicate further decisions if necessary.
- The staff at MCRC will be working remotely (or offsite) during this time, and will not be in the building. The voicemail at the church will be checked every hour as well as the church office email at firstname.lastname@example.org during normal office hours (M-F, 9:30am-2:30pm).
- All communication updates will be made through the weekly email newsletter, through the YouVersion Bible App and through the MCRC website (www.mcrchurch.org).
- We will post a short message, some music and some materials for both adults and children each Sunday morning on both the MCRC website and the YouVersion Bible App for you and your family. These will be available by 9:00 am each Sunday.
- If you, or someone you know in the church, is in the “high risk category” for this virus please contact the church phone at 231-757-2088 (and leave a message) or email the church at email@example.com so that the leadership can create a list to help them check in with you about helping with things like shopping, filling medications, etc.
- The U.S. Congress is currently working on legislation to provide financial stimulus during this time of uncertainty. This stimulus is an attempt to compensate those who will be laid off or who will be quarantined during this pandemic. Unfortunately, this stimulus will probably not be available to religious organizations. Furthermore, because of the separation of church and state, there are also no government safety nets like unemployment to support religious staff. As a result, we have decided to do what is necessary to support the staff of MCRC at this time. With this said, we want to communicate that we are committing to support staff in the absence of “income,” or a Sunday offering.
- Given that these needs, as well as other ministries,will continue during the Covid-19 outbreak and the normal means of contributing generously is now eliminated for a few weeks, we want to remind you that there are two additional ways you can “give” without being present on Sunday mornings. The first is simply going to www.mcrchurch.org and finding the “GIVE” tab. This option provides you with the ability to contribute through PayPal. Secondly, you can give using the “Text to Tithing”method. To use this option, simply text, from a smartphone, the amount of your contribution to “84321” and follow the instructions.
- We ask that we all practice good personal hygiene, including frequent and rigorous hand washing. The recommendation is to wash hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. It is recommended that if you clean hands with hand sanitizer that you use a sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol in it.
- We ask that if you are sick or having beginning symptoms of illness, that you refrain from gathering with others outside of your home.
- We ask that you prayerfully consider your own health and associated risks. While the Covid-19 virus is having a very mild effect on the majority of those infected, it is proving more dangerous for older adults with underlying health issues.
As MCRC leadership, we will continue to monitor developments concerning the Covid-19 virus. If further information, guidelines or executive orders arise, we will make changes as necessary. We hope these changes will both allow us to walk forward in faith and to submit to the local authorities above us in an effort to limit the spread of the Covid-19 virus.